The Help Line

Picture of Ben Hinton
Chinese Firewall Challenged
by Ben Hinton - Friday, 16 May 2014, 9:01 PM

I was wondering if one of the Big Blue Button team had time to help me go over my computer and network setup. With VPN in mainland China my connection is too slow. Without it audio is very broken with regular packet loss. I'm hoping for technical guidance - not 'it's fine for me' responses.

Many thanks,

B

Picture of Frederick Dixon
Re: Chinese Firewall Challenged
by Frederick Dixon - Saturday, 17 May 2014, 8:52 AM

Sorry Ben, there isn't much to go over.  Accessing BigBlueButton via VPN (through the GCF) for anyone isn't going to yield a good experience.  We've seen similar results with others in the past.

Your getting dropped packets because there is too much latency between you and the BigBlueButton server.  

The good news is you should have a better experience when viewing the recordings.

Regards,.. Fred

Picture of Ben Hinton
by Ben Hinton - Saturday, 17 May 2014, 9:02 PM

Hi Fred. I'm not sure you read my message above in its entirety. I am also trying to access BBB without VPN on a high speed connection. Without VPN on such a connection BBB is (as I say above) rendering unlistenable audio and logging me out constantly. 

What makes you say I should have better luck viewing the recordings? I mean - why should that be different technically?

Are BBB unable to help me troubleshoot my problem accessing content?

Picture of Frederick Dixon
by Frederick Dixon - Saturday, 17 May 2014, 9:47 PM

Hi Ben,

What makes you say I should have better luck viewing the recordings?

With BigBlueButton, your communicating with a real-time server (sending/receiving packet).  If your latency is high or the network drops packets (which will manifest itself as unlistenable audio and getting logged out), you won't be able to participate.  

With the recordings, your viewing a non-real time stream of data (receiving packets only).  Even if your on a slow connection, the recording will just take longer to download.  Any lost packets will be automatically resent.  The good news is you should be able to view the recordings without problems.

You'll also get the recorded audio from the presenter to the BigBlueButton server (not the audio from the presenter to the BigBlueButton server to your computer through your network).  The audio should be much better as well.

Regards,.. Fred

Picture of Andrea Adkins
by Andrea Adkins - Thursday, 22 January 2015, 6:50 PM

There's only one solution to that. Try http://www.sunvpn.net/ . Since there's a great firewall of China. This VPN service can get through that firewall.